Sunday, April 17, 2011

A new Bike and an old Rant...

Most of you have probably seen the bike through my other post, or listened to me rave about it well before I even got around to buying it.  I did finally get it done this past week, and after quite a number of years of fits and starts about buying a new mountain bike, I got it to the house and then took it to the trails as fast as I could possibly get it there.

I videoed the inaugural ride...which most of you have also already witnessed via some social meida outlet.

I will take this moment to:

1. test out embedding a Vimeo video into this blog.
2. rant about digital rights management in my stupid videos.


deep breath aaaannd...  Rant away!

YouTube, where I have posted most of my stupid video concoctions blocked my mountain bike video from the whole planet.  Yes!  I guess I have enough viewership to warrant their censorship from the whole of the 7 friggin' billion people that live on this little blue/white/brown-ish orb.  The most hits a video of mine has ever garnered was about 100 hits and it didn't even have music!  We aren't talking millions, or hundreds of thousands or really even multiple hundreds of hits.

Now, it's not YouTube's fault.  They got sued so now they are gun-shy of people using copyrighted material, so I won't really rip on them.  It's the music recording industry that I'm ranting about.  I bought a song legally through iTunes.  I put it on a dumb video that about 30 people will watch in it's entire viewing history, and 10 of those hits will be me...'cause the bike is awesome and I need to see it sometimes when I'm not home...

The video has my credits and a link to iTunes and Amazon where you can buy the song if you liked it.  Those links for purchasing the song were even put there automatically by YouTube aside from my crediting the artist and naming them on my own.  That comes down to FREE ADVERTISING for the record company and the band!  Very few people on the planet will be intentionally playing YouTube over and over again instead of buying a song that will play on their iPods, so that can't be the reason for blocking the video.  I just don't understand the concept of not allowing small time people to use music they have legally paid for and credited to the artist.  If I were getting millions of hits on a video, or if I was somehow profiting from the playing of their song or my video with their music, I can start to get the idea that I probably should have asked permission over and above buying the music, but for 30-50 views on a video?  Come on people...  Free Advertising...where probably 1 person would go and buy the song after watching my admittedly awesome video...

Anyway, as a result, I am trying out Vimeo, where the company doesn't mess with their users.  Probably because they don't have the traffic a YouTube does...yet.

Enjoy.  The trail and the new bike are awesome...even if I might have used purchased music as a lame soundtrack.


Ride of the Niner from Brad on Vimeo.

No comments: