Monday, January 31, 2011

Oak Mountain Hiking

I can tell my blogular activities are really getting poor when it comes to documenting some really fun family stuff.  In fact, I don't think that I covered the Christmas Disney trip at all.  I guess that hugely successful family vacations have just become too mundane and ordinary to bother writing about. 

But this, on the other hand, has potential.

We went hiking out at Oak Mountain and had a fine time.  I led the kids through the Peavine falls canyon (if you can call it that).  I let them descend and climb the rocky ledges that make up the "Enter at your own risk" section.  Brenna loved that...well she looked like she loved it, if a stressed out "Oh My! Don't Let the Kids Fall!" kind of expression constitutes thorough enjoyment...  It wasn't that bad, and the kids thought it was awesome.

After breaking trail up to the top of the ridge for lunch, I pulled out the camera to get some photos of our lovely and ever-so-reserved and refined children.  ahem...

The boys...



Aiden...


The whole family at what was left of a little shelter built back in the 40's.

 The fact that the boys seem to have their mouths open in every picture I took is not lost on me.  I am guessing the altitude had them gasping for air?  It's certainly an odd thing since Ansley seemed unaffected, and Brenna and I managed to not look like we were baby birds waiting to be fed either.



We started the hike back to the van on the easy path rather than going across the rocks again, and as you can see below, Aiden got tired and felt that the best plan of action would be to just stop and not get up again.  He was perfectly content to play in the rocks than to take another step.  I had to give him a piggy back ride to convince him to come with us.




Aiden fell asleep in the car shortly after we got going, so we stopped at a cheesy nature exhibit on the way out of the park.  Bryce and Ansley had seen it on the way in and wanted to go look.  There were several birds in large cages for people to see and read about.  The gross looking vultures weren't doing too much on their perch, but the kids were fascinated by the big birds.

"These birds don't move" said Bryce.  "What can we do to get them to move or come closer?"  My first thought was, "Well, just throw something at them!", but good sense prevailed and instead I mentioned that vultures probably aren't interested in anything but dead animals.  "Why don't you play dead and see what they do?" I suggested.

Thump thump... giggle....really loud exaggerated dying gaaaaaassssp....giggle...



 The vultures were unimpressed by their attempts, but I got a good chuckle...

I love my kids...

No comments: