Saturday, July 12, 2008

Deck Debacle Day 1

Ok, we decided to make the party deck bigger. Why? Perhaps we are gluttons for punishment? Desperate for something else to do in our over scheduled lives? A little impulsive? Probably a little of all of these would be the honest answer.


Some Before pictures: 7:00 a.m.



Now after working a bit, and I mean only a little bit, I was soaked from head to toe thanks to the Alabama humidity. It may be a benign 80 degrees outside, but is it possible to have 105% humidity? I'm guessing so, because I couldn't find a dry patch on my clothes after an hour or so.


Something else I thought of regarding the simple word Deck. First of all, it's funny, and has the potential for lots of off color jokes, but secondly, it has an insidious acronym that relates to the first steps of building one.


Deck - Digging Enough Can Kill Coincidence? I think not.


8:00 a.m. - The bushes had to come out. Man those Azaleas mounted a serious fight for a life form that doesn't have the ability to truly physically fight...



Then the post hole digging commenced. I quickly discovered that the ground around Alabama isn't really ground. It is some government experiment gone wrong that created rock out of clay. I had to dig 9 post holes for this project and each one was taking 20 minutes to reach around a foot and a half. Needless to say, I am sitting here writing instead of digging the last 4...


9:30 a.m. Brenna has to go off on her "Girls Weekend" so I get a reprieve. I have an excuse that I have to take care of the kids instead of continuing the dreaded digging. I love my kids, but I really love them now...my arms hurt...


A note to Dad: Thanks for getting me to go to college. Manual labor stinks...big time...

No comments: